category/package abi_x86_32 abi_x64_64
- You will get many slot blocks the first time around (and probably most of the following times until you've fixed this). This is normal. Don't panic.
- Consider removing libreoffice, wine and your currently installed emul-linux libraries. You can install them again later.
- Unmask abi_x86_32 by putting the following into /etc/portage/profile/use.mask (seriously, I'm not joking you in this. I've spent three days fighting with my laptop until this solved everything. The creepy symptom if you don't do this is that most packages will build fine with the 32 ABI, but some Xorg libraries will refuse to merge, and will show 32 as hard negated in ABI_X86 ("(-32)"):
- If this gets paired with a big world update (as is almost always the case with me and my systems), consider dividing the upgrade by sections and doing those sections first before trying to update world. As an example, on my laptop I first tried to upgrade kde-meta to the newest version and solved first the blockers for that package, before tackling world. This removes around ~300 packages from the world update afterwards.
- Whenever you have a slot conflict, this is due to the ABI change. Most of them can be fixed by individually upgrading the offending package to the newest version (keep in mind that most likely the newest version will be the one supporting the ABI changes. And also keep in mind that you might need to unmask said newest version of the package).